Zeynep Hansen, PhD
Zeynep Hansen, PhD, is the associate dean for academic programs and scholarship for College of Business and Economics. She joined Boise State University faculty in 2007 as an associate professor, was promoted to professor in 2010 and served as chair of the Department of Economics from August 2013 - May 2017. Previously, she served on the faculty of Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. She received her PhD in economics from the University of Arizona and is a graduate of Boise State University.
Hansen is a faculty research fellow at the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER), Development of the American Economy Group. She has published articles in journals such as the Journal of Political Economy, Journal of Law and Economics, Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, and Journal of Economic History. Most of her research focuses on agricultural policy in the development of the American economy. Her other research interests are in the health policy, strategic biotechnology-pharmaceutical alliances, and education economics. Her current research focuses on the water infrastructure and historical water use in the western United States. She teaches courses in Health Economics, History of Economic Thought and the U.S. Economic History.
- PhD, Economics, University of Arizona
- MA, Economics, University of Arizona
- BA, Economics, Mathematics, Boise State University
- Hansen, Zeynep K., Hideo Owan, Jie Pan and Shinya Sugawara (2013), “Contractual Arrangements and Impact on Group Performance: Evidence from College Classroom,” forthcoming, Journal of Law, Economics and Organization.
- Hansen, Zeynep K., Hideo Owan and Jie Pan (2013), “The Impact of Group Diversity on Performance and Knowledge Spillover: Evidence from College Classroom,” forthcoming, Education Economics. Earlier version is available as NBER Working Paper No: 12251.
- Hansen, Zeynep K., Gary D. Libecap and Scott E. Lowe (2011), “Climate Variability and Water Infrastructure: Historical Experience in the Western United States,” National Bureau of Economic Research Conference Volume: The Economics of Climate Change: Adaptations Past and Present, Gary Libecap and Richard Steckel, eds. Also available as NBER Working Paper No: 15558.
- Law, Marc T. and Zeynep K. Hansen (2010), “Medical Licensing Board Characteristics and Physician Discipline: An Empirical Analysis,” Journal of Health Politics, Policy, and Law 35 (1): 63 - 93. Also available as NBER Working Paper No: 15140.
- Hansen, Zeynep K. and Marc T. Law (2008), “The Political Economy of “Truth-in-Advertising” Regulation during the Progressive Era,” Journal of Law and Economics 51(2): 251 – 269. Also available as NBER Working Paper No: 11927.
- Hansen, Zeynep K. and Gary D. Libecap (2004), “Small Farms, Externalities, and the Dust Bowl of the 1930s,” Journal of Political Economy, 112(3): 665 – 694. Also available as NBER Working Paper No: 10055.
Current Courses: Spring 2008
|Course||Room & Times|
|ECON 440G -001: Health Economics||B309|
M 6:00PM - 9:00PM
|ECON 311-001: History Economic Thought||B309|
TuTh 10:40AM - 11:55AM
|ECON 440-001: Health Economics||B309|
M 6:00PM - 9:00PM
|GENBUS 297-001: Special Topics||KEISER104|
W 6:30PM - 8:30PM