Jim Wanek, PhD
Jim Wanek received his MA and PhD in industrial relations/human resource management from the University of Minnesota in 1995 before joining the management faculty at Boise State University in 1996. He teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in the areas of human resource management; employee staffing and training; and employee/labor relations.
Professor Wanek has been developing and teaching online courses since 2001, and is a certified peer reviewer in the Quality Matters Rubric Standards for online courses.
His research interests include employee selection methods and processes including pre-employment testing and interviewing, and issues of diversity and fairness in the workplace.
Prior to graduate school, Professor Wanek had a decade of retail management experience in department and specialty stores.
- PhD, Industrial Relations: Human Resource Management, University of Minnesota;
- MA, Industrial Relations: Human Resource Management, University of Minnesota;
- BS, General Business Administration, Winona State University, Winona, MN
- Human Resource Management,
- Employee Staffing, Training and Development,
- Employee/Labor Relations,
- Diversity and Ethical issues in HR.;
- Research Interests: Employee selection methods and processes including integrity (honesty) testing, personality measures, and interviewing. Issues of fairness, justice and diversity, including domestic partner benefits in a rapidly changing workplace.
- Kaupins, G., Wanek, J.E., & Coco, M. (2014). Human Resource Manager Perceptions of Online Course Reimbursement. International Journal of Management and Human Resources. 2(1), Summer, 29-47.
- Wanek, J.E., Kaupins, G., & Coco, M. (July, 2014). The Relationship of HR Professional Online Experience with Perceptions of Organizational Hiring and Promotion of Online Graduates. Journal of Education for Business, 89, 222-229.
- Domestic Partner Benefits Policies in North Texas (with Gundy Kaupins & Malcolm Coco). International Journal of Business and Public Administration Disciplines, Winter, 2011, Vol. 8, No. 1, 34-47.
- Voluntary Domestic Partner Benefits in North Texas (with Gundy Kaupins & Malcolm Coco). Voluntary Benefits Magazine July 8, 2010;
- Virtually Settled: Tips for Online Labor Negotiation Projects. Journal of Human Resources Education, 3 (1), Winter, 2009;
- HR Professional Perceptions of Human Resource Information Systems (with Gundy Kaupins & Malcolm Coco). International Journal of Business and Public Administration, Spring 2009, Vol. 6, No. 1, 100-112;
- Towards an Understanding of Integrity Test Similarities and Differences: An Item-level Analysis of Seven Tests (with Paul Sackett & Deniz Ones). Personnel Psychology, 2003, 56, 873-894;
- Integrity Testing: An Overview (with Paul Sackett). Special edition of Security Journal, 2002, 8, February, 11-18.
Current Courses: Spring 2018
|Course||Room & Times|
|BUSMBA 510-4201: PEOPLE AND ORGANIZATIONS|
|HRM 340-4001: Employee and Labor Relations|
|HRM 340-4002: Employee and Labor Relations|