Mark A. Buchanan, JD
Professor Buchanan is a licensed attorney and has lived and worked in the U.S., China, Australia, Canada, Thailand, Vietnam and Spain. Prior to coming to Boise in 1996 he was a tenured member of the Faculty of Law, University of New South Wales, Sydney Australia (1990-1995). He has twice been awarded overseas Fulbright Professorships. He has taught courses in international trade and investment law and has long focused his research interests on Corporate Social Responsibility in the international context, including interfaces with World Trade Organization related policies with an emphasis on international labor standards. He was a member of the U.S. Technical Advisory Group to the ISO 26000 Guidance on Social Responsibility project culminating in 2010 and has also worked with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) in Amsterdam. He is a member of the International Law Sections of both the Idaho and American Bar Associations. In 2012 He became a Certified Global Business Practitioner under the auspices of NASBITE.
- LLM, International Law, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- JD, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
- BA, Business Administration, University of St. Thomas, St. Paul
- Business Ethics
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- International Trade Law
- International Business
- Commercial Law
- New Corporate Form Provides More Options for Social Enterprises, The Advocate, Idaho State Bar Association, Vol. 60, No. 8, pp. 42-45, August 2017.
- Corporate Social Responsibility in China: a Snapshot, China Law eBulletin, Issue 1 July 2013.
- CSR and the Social Contract: New Lenses for Stakeholder Analysis and Strategic Management, World Journal of Social Sciences, accepted for publication, February 19, 2013.
- Social Contract, Corporate Social Responsibility, Counsel, and the ISO 26000 Guidance on Social Responsibility, The CSR Journal, American Bar Association, Vol. 5, pp. 16-21, August 2010.;
- Social Contract, Corporate Social Responsibility, Counsel, and the ISO 26000 Guidance on Social Responsibility, THE ADVOCATE, Idaho State Bar Association, Vol. 52, No. 10, pp. 17-20, October 2009.;
- Bribery in International Business Transactions, Baughn, Bodie, Buchanan, and Bixby; JOURNAL OF BUSINESS ETHICS, available on line (published on line 10 June, 2009) at SpringerLink (http://www.springerlink.com/content/90w7736130w16613/), DOI 10.1007/s10551-009-0136-7.;
- Torch Awards for Marketplace Ethics: Providing Students ‘Hands On’ Experience with Marketing Ethics, Ferrell and Buchanan, MARKETING EDUCATION REVIEW, Volume 16, pages 47-52, Spring 2006, pp.47-51.;
- Better Business Bureau International Torch Awards for Marketplace Ethics Student Project, in TEACHING BUSINESS ETHICS: RESOURCE MANUAL, Ferrell and Ferrell, Editors, Colorado State University, 2005, pp 159-168.;
- Linking Human Resource Management Practices and Organizational Strategy: A Cross-National Study, Baughn, Ward, and Buchanan, in Volume 10, Issue 1 of the JOURNAL OF TRANSNATIONAL MANAGEMENT DEVELOPMENT, 2004, pp. 99-121.:
- Vietnam Gearing Up for the WTO: The Quest to Improve Its Legal System for Compliance With The National Treatment Principle, Mark A Buchanan and Dr. Tran Van Nam, in ECONOMICS AND DEVELOPMENT REVIEW, Hanoi, Volume 10, June, 2003, pp. 8-16.;
- International Trade and Labour Standards: [In Anticipation of] The Impact of the US-Cambodia Textile Agreement, in COMMUNITIES IN SOUTHEAST ASIA: CHALLENGES AND RESPONSES, Landsdowne, Dearden and Neilson Editors, University of Victoria, 2002 [ISBN 1-55058-260-7], pp. 472-486.;
- Cultural Protectionism, Baughn and Buchanan, BUSINESS HORIZONS, Nov./Dec., 2001;
- The Critical Need for Law Reform to Regulate the Abusive Practices of Transnational Corporations: The I
- Certified Global Business Practitioner, 2012-Present
- 2005 Business Ethics Certificate, awarded by the College of Business at Colorado State University
- 1995-96 CAPI/Law Visiting Scholar, Centre for Asia-Pacific Initiatives, Faculty of Law, University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- 1989-90 American Senior Fulbright Professor, Faculty of Law, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
- 1988-89 American Senior Fulbright Professor, China University of Political Science and Law, Beijing, People's Republic of China