Boise State University’s Executive MBA program gives you the opportunity to learn from world-class, experienced faculty, enhance your strengths and address areas for improvement.
Michael B. Bixby, JD
Michael Bixby was a full-time professor at Boise State University in the Department of Management from 1981 to 2012, teaching classes dealing with legal and regulatory issues, including intellectual property, employment law, workplace safety and business ethics. Since his retirement, he has taught a law course in the Boise State Online MBA program for the last four years, and he has also continued to teach a few sessions of the Executive MBA course each year.
His undergraduate (B.A.) and law (J.D.) degrees are from the University of Michigan. Bixby practiced law as an attorney for 11 years in Michigan before becoming a faculty member at Boise State.
Since joining Boise State, he has had 18 articles published in academic and professional journals and has presented over 60 academic papers at conferences. Professor Bixby has authored or co-authored 2 textbooks, currently in use by many business schools. The first one, The Legal Environment of Business (he is the lead author) is now in its 6th edition (2014) and is published by Pearson Publications. In 2013 he co-authored the revised 6th edition of International Business Law, published by Prentice Hall.
Bixby is an active member of the National Academy of Legal Studies in Business, and has served as president of the Northwest Regional division of this organization. He is a member of the State Bar of Michigan and was for 15 years a member of the Governing Council of the Corporate and Business Law Section of the State Bar of Idaho.
- JD, BA, University of Michigan
- Intellectual Property; Employment Law; Workplace Safety; Business Ethics
- In 2012, Bixby was given the Distinguished Career Achievement Award by the national Academy of Legal Studies in Business, an award given only every few years by the organization.
- In 2006 Professor Bixby was chosen as the winner of the Foundation Scholars Award for Teaching, the highest honor accorded to a faculty member at Boise State. He was the first College of Business faculty member to win the award.
- He has also been twice recognized as the faculty member of the year in the College of Business by the ASBSU student organization.
- He was the winner of the Teaching Award in the Management Department in 2008.