What is a resume
Resumes are essential tools to helping you land your next internship or job. They 1-2 page documents that communicate your qualifications for a particular position. Qualifications can include your educational background, your relevant work history, your certifications or achievements, and more. Resumes communicate your value as an job candidate.
How to build and refine your resume
It is important to present the information on your resume with authority, class, and style. Your resume is also never truly finished, it is a living and evolving document. Keep it up-to-date and fresh, you never know when an opportunity will pop up. To help you build and refine your resume. follow the guidelines listed below.
When it comes to resumes, fashion should never trump functionality. Use bullet points for ease of reading and keep phrases concise. Pick a font that’s easy to read and a size that isn’t too small.
Edit, edit, edit
Read your resume out loud. Ask someone else to proofread it for you. COBE Career Services offers resume consultations by appointment.
Show your results
Be detailed when talking about your past work experiences. If you can, provide specific statistics to make a big impression. Focus more on achievements, accomplishments and outcomes that you can quantify, rather than just job duties.
Your resume design is an opportunity to show potential employers and clients a bit of your personality, as a person and as a professional. Show your character.
Match your resume to the job description
You have to customize your resume. There is no “one size fits all” resume. Use key words.
Establish a brand
Your resume, cover letter and any other documents should match. This demonstrates that you have the ability to craft an entire brand identity and that you can be consistent.
Needs some help finding the right word to match with your roles and responsibilities? Use this word bank of resume verbs to generate ideas.
Check out the sample resume listed below, or search for more sample resumes in your field with Vault.
618 Ashurst Dr. Seattle, WA 01801 | 880-456-3488 | samuel_sales@ gmail.com | www.linkedin.in/sam_sales
Direct Sales | Business Management | Fitness Training
Results-driven professional with experience in high volume sales, specifically in the health and fitness industry. Voted “Trainer of the Year” out of 67 trainers and 3 clubs for achieving highest amount in sales of 110k in personal training and 35k in supplements. Effective communicator, with the ability to develop and maintain strong business and client relationships. Skilled at motivating others, working with teams and independently while meeting sales goals. Proven ability to multi-task and adjust to quickly changing markets.
- Boise State University, 2014
Bachelors of Business Administration in Entrepreneurial Management
Minor in Marketing | GPA: 3.8 | Graduated Cum Laude
- National Academy of Sports Medicine
NASM Certified Personal Trainer, 2006
Howard’s Home Automation and Security – Seattle, WA
Manager of Sales, 2010 – Present
- Oversee and direct up to 50 employees to effectively manage their area of door-to-door direct sales
- Conduct sales trainings daily in door-to-door presentations, overcoming the most common objections, and focusing on reading people both with interpersonal and non-verbal communication, and using the B.O.L.T. system to increase production and understand human personalities
Garry’s Gym – Seattle, WA
Fitness Director, 2009 –2010
- Directed both sales staff and trainers in working together to elicit the levels of production needed to reach benchmarks by club standards
- Voted “Fitness Director of the Year” while managing 27 trainers specifically coaching in both hands-on training techniques and sales strategies with Garry’s Gym
- Received recognition for achieving and producing highest monthly and annual sales with team grossing monthly sales in personal training in excess of 100k in personal training and 20k in supplements
Assistant Fitness Director, 2007 –2009
- Trained trainers in sales techniques and strategies to meet benchmarks, and coached them on how to organize their book of business to assist them in reaching higher levels sales and production and increasing their personal income and growth
- Personal production averaged $8-10k in personal training monthly and 2k+ in supplements finishing 7th in the country in sales volume