WHAT IS A RESUME PROFILE STATEMENT?
A profile statement is a compelling and concise narrative, or list, that tells the employer why you are qualified for the job and what you have to offer them (not what you expect to get out of the job, which is what an “Objectives Statement” does). Your statement should briefly highlight your skills, experience and education, your area of expertise, and convey your desire to contribute to that specific employer.
Think of it as an elevator pitch for your resume
HOW TO WRITE A COMPELLING PROFILE STATEMENT
Begin by asking yourself a few questions:
• What skills do you most enjoy using?
• What accomplishments are you most proud of that best illustrate your abilities?
• What issues, topics, or areas are you most passionate about?
Then analyze your target industry:
• What does your target industry value most?
• What experiences, skills and characteristics matter in your target jobs?
• What would you look for in a candidate as a hiring manager?
Inventory your skills and achievements
• Hard Skills (examples: basic accounting, business writing, social media marketing)
• Soft Skills (examples: punctual, detail-oriented, ambitious)
• Achievements and Character Statements (example: “Results-oriented graduate who has shown outstanding leadership as VP of Student Activities for Beta Alpha Psi.”)
Connect your skills and experience to your potential employer
• Look through the qualifications section of the job description to determine what skills the employer is seeking.
• Identify, describe and refine your key selling points with your end goal in mind.
• If you’re not responding to a specific ad or aren’t sure exactly what job you want, then look at a few job ads in the industry you are considering and create a list of shared skills that appear in these ads.