Presented by Boise State University Department of Accountancy
Monday, December 17, 2018, 7:45 a.m.-3:45 p.m.
The 2018 Gem State Business and Accounting conference has SOLD OUT. Registration is now closed.
Lunch Sponsored by
Date and Time
Monday, December 17, 2018, 7:45 a.m.-3:45 p.m.
The Gem State Business and Accounting Conference provides the latest updates and perspectives on a variety of accounting, audit, tax and reporting matters that impact both private and public companies. The program will also provide the latest information and perspectives on other current business topics including the multi-generation workforce and ethics.
Registration & Breakfast 7:15 a.m. - 7:45 a.m. Registration and Breakfast Welcome 7:45 a.m. - 7:50 a.m. Troy Hyatt Welcome to the 5th Annual Gem State Business & Accounting Conference Session 1 7:50 a.m. - 8:40 a.m. Panel Discussion:
Kelsey Barclay -Moderator
Revenue and Lease Standard Implementation Triumphs and Challenges, a Panel Discussion Session 2 8:40 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. Jan Salisbury Develop Leaders Now! Leaders who Coach Break 9:30 a.m. - 9:50 a.m. Break (20 min.) Session 3 9:50 a.m. - 10:40 a.m. Sean McCarthy Economics and Market Strategy Update Session 4 10:40 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Doug Prawitt What's happening at COSO and the Importance of Tone at the Top Grab Lunch 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Lunch break (30 min.) Session 5 12:00 p.m. - 12:50 p.m. Jacqueline Hastings Digital Controllership Session 6 12:50 p.m. - 1:40 p.m. Panel Discussion:
Shawna Hofer - Moderator
Today's Cybersecurity Risks and Best Practices Break 1:40 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Break (20 min.) Session 7 2:00 p.m. - 2:50 p.m. Mark Buchanan Ethics: Are You Up To It? Session 8 2:50 p.m. - 3:40 p.m. Jeff Kummer Tax Policy: A View from Washington Closing Remarks 3:40 p.m. - 3:45 p.m. Jason Coronado Closing Remarks
The 2018 Gem State Business & Accounting Conference will be held in the Micron Business & Economics Building at Boise State University (on the corner of University Drive and Capitol Blvd). Free event parking available in the Brady Parking Garage.
2018 Featured Speakers:Kelsey Barclay, CPA, is in her seventh year with Deloitte & Touche LLP serving public and private clients in retail, manufacturing, distribution, and other industries. Kelsey joined the Boise office of Deloitte & Touche LLP in 2011 after earning her bachelors in Accounting and Finance from the University of Idaho. Kelsey currently serves in a National Office Accounting Research role where she engages in consultations on complex and leading-edge matters for clients on areas such as revenue, business combinations and cash flow, contingency and foreign currency topics. Kelsey also serves as the subject matter lead on the cash flow, contingency, and foreign currency team.
• McRay Bryson, Director of Financial Reporting – Boise Cascade Company
• Greg Jones, Director of Financial Reporting – Lamb Weston
• Daren Wallace, Financial Reporting Manager – Idaho Power Company
• Blake Watanabe, Manager of Financial Reporting – US Ecology Inc.Jan Salisbury is President of Salisbury Consulting. For over 30 years, she has partnered with businesses and nonprofits to create empowering cultures that achieve results. She is a credentialed Professional Certified Executive Coach focusing on “closing the gap” as leaders and organizations grow to the next level. As a Chair of a Vistage Small Business Owner/CEO Peer Advisory Board and Key Executive board, she works with entrepreneurs, family owned and key executives in large and small businesses. Jan is the co-creator and partner of Leaders Who Coach LLC, an evidence-based interactive program that builds leaders to coach and develop others.
Sean McCarthy is the regional chief investment officer for the Southwest region of Wells Fargo Private Bank. He leads a team of investment professionals who deliver comprehensive, custom, diversified portfolio management for clients of The Private Bank. In his role, Mr. McCarthy serves as the investment thought leader in the region by providing insight and interpretation of the economy and financial markets at client events and through written commentary. He is a voting member of both the Investment Policy Committee and the Investment Solutions Committee.Doug Prawitt earned his Ph.D. at the University of Arizona and currently is the McAllister/Deloitte Distinguished Professor of Accountancy at Brigham Young University where he teaches auditing and professional judgment in BYU’s graduate accounting and MBA programs. Doug served a three-year term as a member of the AICPA’s Auditing Standards Board, and he currently serves as a member of the COSO Board. Doug’s research has been published in many of the top academic accounting journals and he has coauthored two leading auditing textbooks. Doug has won several research and teaching awards and is a regular speaker and consultant in the area of judgment and decision making in business settings.Jacqueline has 11 years of experience at Deloitte in the US, Australia, and the Cayman Islands. Moving on from conducting the audits of significant financial services and commercial entities, Jacqueline brings hands-on global experience to the Advisory space across a number of industries, specifically focused on retail and consumer products. She is a critical and innovative thinker and has a passion for helping clients to realize business value through finance transformation and process improvement. She has a proven track record in enabling cloud-based technology to drive efficiency and promote governance across a business and works with technology solutions to address accounting compliance issues and unlock opportunities.Shawna is the Senior Manager of Cyber Security for Idaho’s largest private employer, St Luke’s Health System. She oversees cybersecurity strategy and operations, leading the teams responsible for the protection of digital infrastructure and information; governance, risk management and education. Shawna started her career at Deloitte in IT risk consulting where she gained the skills necessary to assess risk and effectively communicate between business and information technology stakeholders. She received her Accountancy BBA from Boise State University and MSA – Accounting Information Systems from San Diego State University.
• Mackenzie Brown, Incident Response Consultant – Optiv Inc.
• Dan DeCloss, CISO, Scentsy, Inc.
• Clark Harshbarger, Special Agent – Federal Bureau of Investigation
• Dawn Teply, IT Security Analyst, St. Luke’s Health System
• J.R. Tietsort, CISO – Micron Technology Inc.Professor Buchanan is a licensed attorney and has lived and worked in the U.S., China, Australia, Canada, Thailand, Vietnam and Spain. He is currently serving as the chair of the Department of Management and a professor of international business law, ethics and corporate social responsibility. Prior to coming to Boise in 1996, he was a tenured member of the faculty of law at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia (1990-1995). He has twice been awarded overseas Fulbright Professorships. He has taught courses in international trade and investment law and has long focused his research interests on corporate social responsibility in the international context, including interfaces with World Trade Organization-related policies with an emphasis on international labor standards. He was a member of the U.S. Technical Advisory Group to the ISO 26000 Guidance on Social Responsibility project culminating in 2010 and has also worked with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). He has been a member of the International Law Sections of both the Idaho and American Bar Associations. He is a Certified Global Business Practitioner under the auspices of NASBITE and a Certified CSR/Sustainability Practitioner under the auspices of the Centre for Sustainability and Excellence.Jeff has over 20 years of experience in the tax policy arena and is currently responsible for communicating emerging tax developments in the U.S. Congress, the Internal Revenue Service and Treasury Department, and the federal courts to the Firm and its clients. Jeff oversees the content development of Tax News & Views as well as thought leadership publications on issues such as the U.S. deficit and fundamental tax reform.
Registration is closed. The 2018 Conference has SOLD OUT.
A registration fee of $95 per attendee will be charged when you register online. If you prefer to pay by check, please print off the registration form – hard copy and mail the completed form (Hard Copy Form) and check to:Department of Accountancy ATTN: Gem State Business & Accounting Conference Boise State University 1910 University Dr. Boise, ID 83725-1610
All proceeds benefit Boise State University Accounting Student Scholarships.
2018 CPE Credit Information
Program Delivery Mode: Group Live (Live Instructor-led)
Program Level: Intermediate
Pre-Requisite Education/Experience: N/A
Advance Preparation: N/A
Assigned CPE Subject Area and Number of CPE Credits: 8.0* Accounting 2.0, Ethics 1.0, Tax 1.0, Specialized Knowledge 4.0
*Disclaimer: CPE subject area and number of CPE credits are under review and subject to change.
NASBA Registry CPE Sponsor Statement
Deloitte LLP is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) for group training on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors.
NASBA CPE Credits are made available and awarded for Deloitte group training that complies with the Statement on Standards for CPE Programs. In accordance with these standards, relevant group training details are disclosed to learners in advance via email invitations, registration websites, or other similar advance announcements.
Deloitte LLP’s CPE Sponsor ID Numbers:
NASBA National Registry: 107752
Texas State Board of Public Accountancy: 000156
Complaints regarding NASBA National Registry CPE Sponsors may be submitted to NASBA via their website, NASBARegistry.org.
State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of CPE Credits for Certified Public Accountants (CPAs).
Complaint Resolution Policy
Contact Chris Clay at firstname.lastname@example.org to register complaints related to the timeliness/accuracy of CPE credit reporting, program delivery, or program content.
No Refund/Cancellation: All proceeds for this program will be contributed to the Boise State University Accounting Students Scholarships.
Presentations will be available prior to conference date.