Active. Engaged. Valued.
The College of Business and Economics (COBE) is helping create the future for our students and the Treasure Valley through entrepreneurial spirit, innovation, and collaboration. Collaboration with leaders from our vibrant business community is central to the College’s ability to achieve its vision, mission and strategic directions. The COBE Advisory Committee (COBEAC) is made up of business leaders who not only care about the direction of our Valley, but believe strongly that COBE can be a key driver in creating economic value and improving our community’s high quality of life.
Roger is currently the Chief Information Officer and Vice President of Information Technology for the J.R. Simplot Company headquartered in Boise, Idaho. In his current position, Roger’s duties include executive management of all information technology resources and systems for the J.R. Simplot Company.
In his years in the information technology industry, Roger has held various positions of increasing authority. Some of his successes include being one of the youngest managers in the AT&T Corporation at 20 years of age (Southwestern Bell Telephone Company); managing various technical and systems development organizations throughout his career; being Senior Information Technology Executive (CIO) for 4 different large corporations; being Regional Director over 9 states for NCR Corporation; and he established and managed a large consulting practice covering the Western Hemisphere for ICL Retail Systems headquartered in Bracknell, England.
Roger has vast technical and executive experience with all aspects of information systems, information technology strategies, management best practices, voice and data communications, systems development methodologies, and IT governance.
- Associates in Accounting – San Jacinto Junior College, Deer Park, Texas
- B.S., Computer Science – University of Houston, Houston, Texas
- Participated in many continuous education courses throughout my career
- Computerworld's Premier 100 IT Leaders award for the year 2003.
- CIO Magazine’s Top 100 IT Innovative Leaders Award in 2009.
- ”Above and Beyond” award from the CIO Executive Council for presenting the Webinar on “Moving the IT Organization into the Business”
- Authored a chapter in the book Inside the Minds: CIO Leadership Strategies, based upon his successful CIO strategies and leadership in aligning IT with the business. This book is published by Aspatore Publishers and was released in major bookstores in May 2005.
- Authored a chapter in the book titled Inside the Minds: Managing the Technology Team that was published in the spring of 2007.
- Nominated to the CIO Hall of Fame in 2008.
- Recipient of ExecBlueprints Books 24x7 Principal Author award in 2007.
- Successfully participated in the ASAE CEO training program in 2008.
- Previous Private Industry Representative appointed by the Governor of Idaho for the State of Idaho’s Information Technology Resource Management Council (ITRMC).
- Immediate Past President/CEO of the Board of Directors for Quest International Users Group, this is the worldwide users group for Oracle’s JD Edwards and PeopleSoft customers.
- Founding President of the DataTech User Group – ERP system for the Retail Industry.
- Past chairman of Boise State University’s CIO Forum.
- Speaker at many industry conferences including Food Marketing Institute (FMI), FMI MARKETECHNICS, the Association of Caribbean Retailers and Wholesalers, JD Edwards Global Users Conferences, Oracle’s COLLABORATE Conferences, LogiChem Conference, ITRMC Conferences, UCLA’s Anderson School of Management, ConNEXTions Conference, VMware Sales Conference, ESRI’s GIS Global Conference, CIO Executive Forum, Idaho IT Symposium, and various other CIO and IT conferences.
- Invited to be one of the keynote speakers at the INTEROP Moscow 2006 Congress June 2006 in Moscow, Russia speaking to over 12,000 business leaders and 1,000 CIO’s.
- Active member of the College of Business and Economics Advisory Board for Boise State University in Boise, Idaho.
- Active member and co-chair of Oracle’s Agribusiness Special Interest Group (SIG).
- Active member of the AgGateway Board of Directors and AgCIO Roundtable Council.
- Featured in Gartner’s 2011 CIO Executive Case Study.
- Featured CIO in five separate vendor videos including Microsoft, Oracle, HP and IBM.
- Published in several industry trade journals including RIS (Retail Information Systems) magazine, Computerworld, CIO Magazine, Supermarket News, Government Technology magazine, JD Edwards Quest magazine, Consumer Goods Technology magazine, LBx Journal and others.