The Department of Marketing and Finance accepts the CLEP exam for Principles of Marketing in lieu of Mktg 301 Principles of Marketing. When requesting a permission number for classes that require Mktg 301 as a prerequisite, you will need to provide proof that you have passed the CLEP exam.
Scheduling and Taking the CLEP
Academic Advising and Enhancement handles all aspects of the CLEP exam including scheduling and giving the exam and providing exam results to the Registrar. Please direct all questions about the CLEP exam to Academic Advising and Enhancement: http://aae.boisestate.edu/testing/cleptesting/
1) Plan Ahead. According to the University Testing Services Web site:
“If you are planning on taking the CLEP to get credit for prerequisite courses or credits needed for graduation, plan ahead. It takes approximately three to four weeks for the official score reports to be sent from CLEP to the Registrar’s office. If you do not pass the exam the first time, you have to wait 6 months before you can re-take the exam and you will have to pay the full testing fee.”
2) Study for the Exam. Here are some things you can do to prepare for the exam:
- borrow a Principles of Marketing textbook from a friend
- check out a CLEP study manual or Principles of Marketing book from the BSU Library
- purchase study materials from the CLEP Web site: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/prep.html
3) Provide Documentation When Seeking Permission Numbers.
If you pass the Principles of Marketing CLEP exam and need to get a permission number to get into a class for which Mktg 301 is a prerequisite, be sure you take your CLEP score report with you to the department from which you need the permission number. You will need to show proof that you have passed the CLEP for Principles of Marketing. A passing score is 50.